Monday, June 20, 2005

Artist Profile: Julie Ellis

Artforms:
Mostly written prose or digital painting.

Condition(s):
Primary Hereditary Lymphedema, Chronic Venous Insufficiency, Lipedema and chronic cellulitis infections.

Philosophy about Lymphedema:
It takes great tenacity, strength and courage to face the challenge of managing a condition like Lymphedema each day. I had thought "managing a medical condition" was the easy part, before I was diagnosed.

Now I believe the temporary acute conditions are easier for me to manage, even though they are often traumatic, they are easier to contend with because I can deal with it at the time, put it in the past and get on with my life.


I struggle with dealing with the emotional ups and downs that come with Lymphedema and in maintaining the stamina and consistency of self-care that is needed to manage a condition like Lymphedema.

That's why art is such a good outlet for me, it allows my subconscious to release some of the emotions that I struggle to express in other ways.

People who inspire me:
Pema Chodron: She shows you how to be more compassionate toward yourself and others, she doesn't just tell you and expect you to figure it out.

Maya Angelou: She is such a strong and powerful woman with a voice.


Having role models like this are necessary for me to feel like I can deal with the day to day struggles...I am able to move beyond my smallness and become something more than just this body, this mind.

Personal Website:
  • coyote dreamin' blog




  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home